Active Dry Yeasr

Elisabeth Keene <swanmore@yahoo.com>
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 01:54:36 -0800 (PST)
v107.n003.5
Contrary to what Maggie Glezer writes, I find active dry yeast
extremely satisfactory. I do not use large amounts -- typically 1/3
or a 1/4 of a  teaspoon raises a pound of flour. (3-4 cups?) There is
no yeasty taste, and I find no difference between a loaf made with
this or with compresed yeast. I don't know whether American brands
are less satisfactory -- I use Allinsons from the UK. At the
beginning I did have a few problems activating it, until John from
this list set me right about the temperature of the water.( if you
mix one third boiling water and 2/3 tap water, it is just fine). Yes,
it's a little bit more trouble to get going, and perhaps the timing
of the rising is not consistent enough for bread machines, but the
result for me and my family is much tastier than bread made with
instant,or rapid-rise, yeast.

   Elisabeth