Re: no-knead sticking to the pot

aqn@panix.com
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 17:44:07 -0500 (EST)
v107.n002.4
I have not tried no-knead bread yet.  I first need to find a big
enough oven-proof vessel for the baking.  I have a question re.  the
bread sticking to the pot:   I have seen mixed reports of that.  Most
people seem to say that their bread do not stick.  Most people also
do not say what kind of finish their baking vessel has:  enameled,
non-stick, cast iron, stainless steel, ceramic, etc.

I saw one person reporting problems with the bread sticking to the
pot, where they end up having to scrape it out.  Has anybody else
experienced sticking problems?

I saw one person mention lightly oiling the pot (Ellen Lee
<leep34@frontiernet.net>).  What kind of oil did you use?  Wouldn't
there be an issue with the oil smoking at 500-515 F (as called for in
the video)?

Thanks.

Jesse Wasserman <jesswass1916@yahoo.com> wrote:
>And although I did cut back on the water slightly, because of the
>humidity here, nevertheless the dough was so sticky that, after 18
>hours of resting,  when I dumped it on the counter I had to add a
>considerable amount of flour to even remove some but not all its
>stickiness.  Managed to get it on the floured towel with not much shape to it.

That's about what I observed in the video on the NY Times Web site:
the dough was super-sticky and stuck to everything.

Andy Nguyen