Re: No-knead bread

aqn@panix.com
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 18:02:42 -0500 (EST)
v107.n001.18
"D. Beeckler" <dmbeeckl@scrtc.com> wrote:
>What is the problem:  #1 I used rapid rise yeast, it works
>everywhere else, why not here,

AFAIK, the only differences between "instant" (a.k.a. "rapid rise")
yeast and "active dry" yeast are:

a. the amount of active yeast culture in a given weight of yeast
instant yeast has 20% more yeast culture for a given weight, per "The
Bread Baker's Apprentice"), and

b. you need to "proof" active dry yeast (mixing it in warm water, to
"prove" (hence "proof") that it's still active) before using it.

>#2 How can you handle already risen dough and put it in a hot pan and

Very carefully?  :-

If/when I try no-knead bread, I'd do the final rise on a piece of
parchment, and slide the whole deal (parchment + loaf) into the pot
at baking time.

In my "normal" baking, I do the final rise/proofing of the loaf on a
piece of parchment, so I don't need to pick up the dough, to minimize
handling of the dough.

>#3 Shouldn't there be some sugar or some other sweet in it.

No.  As many others have pointed out, very few bread recipes have
table sugar in it.  In any case, table sugar does nothing to/with the
yeast & flour.

Andy Nguyen