no knead bread

"Lloyd Davis" <ldavis47@msn.com>
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 21:29:28 -0500
v107.n001.16
Some variation:

I can't wait 18 hours, 1/2 tsp yeast for 8-10 hours works great, look
for bubbles across the top: it has a red hued crust, great open crumb
and delicious.

I use 15 oz flour (all white or 2/3 white and 1/3 whole wheat), 1 and
1/2 cups water, 1 heaping tsp of kosher salt: the dough when
completely mixed should be sticky but pull away from the back of a metal spoon.

A well floured silpat mat works well for the folding (with a plastic
dough blade) and after 1 and 1/2 hours proof (includes 30 min to
preheat oven and pot to 450F), it is easy to slip your hands under
the silpat and roll the dough into a pot. Since it flips upside down,
I proof with the seams up.

The dough bakes for 1 hr in the pot, why bother uncovering. I have
noticed a higher rise if the pot is preheated rather than starting
from a cold oven and pot, but there are dangers of burning and there
is not that great a difference.

This process has worded perfectly every time. I particularly like the
whole wheat variation, it becomes a very dark loaf throughout the crumb.

Lloyd