Amount of Flour?

"Penny Dunovsky" <pdunovsky@retina-assoc.com>
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:33:12 -0500
v106.n048.18
I've baked bread (by hand, not machine) for years but have never been
clear about the amount of flour to use.  I usually find I am adding
more flour than the recipe calls for to get the dough to the satiny
and elastic state I think I need to achieve.  I can knead for 30+
minutes and still not get to that desired satiny state without adding
more flour.  Is it OK to have the dough sticky but elastic? We like
the bread results - like European bread rather than the cake like
texture of American breads.   But I want to understand the bread and
process better.

Thanks for any help.
Penny