Re: no knead bread questions

jweissmn@his.com
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 07:27:25 -0500
v106.n048.4
With regard D. Beckler's no knead bread questions:

It might be a good idea to try the recipe as written (including
raising it outside the freezer) and then vary it.  1)  I tried rapid
rise yeast in it after having success with regular yeast.  The no
knead version just didn't work.  2)  the video on the Times website
shows how to put the risen dough into a hot pan.  Essentially you
flip it off the towel, or slide it off the peel.  3)  Lots and lots
of bread recipes have no sugar and taste just fine.  The yeast feeds
on the.  Baguettes, for one.

Also, nobody has reported success with 100% whole wheat, even white
whole wheat.  Try it with about 1/3 whole wheat, and if that works,
go up from there.

Finally, this recipe just does not give consistent results, at least
not for me and my baking friends.  Some of the loaves are
extraordinary, Many are pretty good, and some are duds.  Even the
duds are fun to make and better than some store bread.

So my suggestion is to try again, following the recipe procedure as
given but using 1/3 white whole wheat if you want to.  The video has
a lower amount of water (one and a half cups) than the printed
recipe, and that may hel\p.  See what you get then.

-  Jessica Weissman