Re: No Knead Bread

debunix <debunix@well.com>
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 02:27:00 -0600
v106.n048.2
>#1 I used rapid rise yeast, it works every where else, why not here,
>#2 How can you handle already risen dough and put it in a hot pan
>and #3 Shouldn't there be some sugar or some other sweet in it?

You used rapid rise yeast which is not the same as instant, more
yeast, plus sweetener--you turbocharged the yeast activity in what
should be a very slow process, so the yeast did their work too soon,
and the dough became overproofed and alcoholic, and no amount of
baking can repair that.

Trust the recipe as given:  the tiny bit of yeast works perfectly
fine, just slowly, when feeding only on flour and having to break
down complex sugars into what it prefers to eat.  It is that very
slowness that gives the flavor time to develop and deepen, so
speeding it up with sugar or more yeast is counterproductive.

And the transfer of the risen dough to the hot pan is tricky, but
easy enough if the rising surface was very well covered with bran/
cornmeal/semolina etc so that hte dough doesn't stick to it, and you
don't try to be neat about it.  Just flop it on in to the hot pot,
don't panic as it partially deflates or hits the edge of the pan, it
will poof back up again and taste ok even if irregularly shaped.

--diane in st. louis

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html