Re: Substituting starter for yeast

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:53:52 -0600
v106.n038.2
Omit yeast, but do not omit the water used to proof the yeast.
Substitute 2 cups of lively sourdough for 4/5 cup water + 1 1/5 cup
flour (I based this on the proportions of my sourdough starter which
is about 3 cups flour to 2 cups flour).  No, I don't have a 1/5 c.
measure ... I eyeball it.

>Do you modify the other ingredients?

if I feel like it ; ) ... often I substitute wheat germ or oat bran
for some of the flour.  Not too much, maybe 1/2 cup.

>Do you let the dough sit and proof before baking?

Whatever you would normally do with the recipe.  Sometimes sourdough
is slower than yeast, so let the dough proof to the same point you
would with yeast (doubled in size, bubbly ... whatever the requirement is).

>I've baked lots of sourdough bread, in fact I almost never use
>yeast, but I'm hesitant to branch out and try other things without
>some guidance.

Don't be hesitant ... it's just flour and water and I understand that
you can compost it if it turns into a brick or tastes bad.

Lobo