escaped cinammon roll fillings

"mike fuller" <mikadri@infomed.sld.cu>
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 09:53:27 -0400
v106.n037.2
shirley said

>I followed the instructions leaving a one inch border all around the
>edges of the dough when brushing with butter and sprinkling the
>cinnamon and sugar mix on.  I rolled it and pinched all seams to
>completely seal.  Placed it seam side down for the second rise and
>placed the two loaves in the oven.  All was going well, a good oven
>spring and they were browning beautifully.  Next thing I smelled was
>burning sugar.  Both loaves opened up a portion of the seam and the
>cinnamon sugar syrup was escaping and bubbled over the top of the
>bread pans.  Once cooled I cut into the bread and the swirl was
>there and had not separated leaving a gap which has happened for
>other swirl breads.  It was very pretty but I am asking for help as
>to why it opened up allowing the mixture to escape.  Anyone?

well, shirl, i too have had the unfortunate experience of escaped
cinrol fillings

since my local police department has no division for retrieving
delinquent bread ingredients, i had to find another solution

i use a clean 2" paint scraper, spatula style, to provide ventilation
so the generated steam can escape without busting the roll

i first push it into the center of the roll, then one about 2" from
either end, then one in between each of those, then one between each
of those, leaving 9 deep slits, going almost to the bottom of the
roll. i choose nine because that makes ten pre-cut pieces into which
the log can be divided

this works shirley, guaranteed, but takes a little practice. you have
to jiggle around the scraper a little, and be careful to get almost
all the way to the bottom without breaking through.

but in the end it has a nice aesthetic result and keeps the errant
spices, butter and sugars in their place

baked love,
mike in havana