Re: Ciabatta question

aqn@panix.com
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:12:24 -0400 (EDT)
v106.n036.6
"jacobs" <Njretired@copper.net> wrote:
>Has anyone had any luck making chewy Ciabatta buns that are similar
>to the ones sold in the Mickie D and Jack in the Box fast food
>chains?  Shall I just try a mini-version of the loaf?
>
>[...]
>
>Jeanette in Scorchin' South Texas

I've been on a similar quest as well.  My latest experiment was to
lower the oven temperature during the baking.  Here are my notes from
my last try:

*  oven (with tray with 3 quarry tiles) preheated @ 425F
      bread put in @ 400F
      1 C of hot h2o in tray

*  after 20 mins:  reduce to 350F, turned loaf;  removed h2o tray

*  reduce to 200F @ 35 min, removed cookie sheet

*  total bake time: approx 45 mins
      final internal temp:  207.5F

The result is *almost* good enough.  The crust does go soggy after
only about 1/2 hour out of the oven, but that's how I prefer it.  The
damper crust/crumb makes for a better result when the bread is
reheated.  For a "show off" loaf where the crust does not go soggy,
I'd probably bake until the internal temperature gets to about 210F.

Other notes:

I put the loaf on a rimless cookie tray with a piece of parchment
paper for the final rise.

My loaf is 0.75X the ciabatta recipe in "The Bread Baker's Apprentice".

Andy Nguyen