Re: Katie raising rolls

"db1753" <db1753@dragonbbs.com>
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:11:24 GMT
v106.n035.7
Katie <kaylys@yahoo.com> asked about Baking Rolls in a Kitchen that
is Open To Family Room.

We had a large kitchen on the farm and Mother had a trick that worked
for her. She sat the pan on top of the radio which gave it just
enough heat to warm the pan to make the dough work. It never failed.

Today I don't suppose the radio or TV would give off heat enough. I
have sat mine on the top of the stove on a large baking pan that
brings it up under the stove hood lamp and that worked. You just need
to find a warm place. Sometimes you can heat oven a little bit, turn
it off and sit the pans in there. Not too much heat or it will ruin
them. Be sure you are covering the pans with cloth or plastic to hold
in the heat. If you have a sunny spot the heat from the sun should
make them rise.

I think I shared the story of my grandmother who took a failed batch
out and buried it when she was newly wed and didn't want her husband
and father-in-law to see her failed dough. The November sun came out
warmed the dough and it rose above the ground. Her new husband, my
grandfather, came in and said "Kiddo, come see this mushroom - it's
the biggest thing I ever saw." He knew it was her dough but had to
tease her. It just needed a good heat source.

Sue Ellen