Re: pizza dough

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:35:30 -0600
v106.n032.5
RisaG wrote:
>Anyway, even with the "forking" of the dough, it still puffs up. It
>becomes quite thick, like Chicago-style pizza. I don't want that. I
>want thin crust, like NYC pizza.

Without looking at the recipe, I can't tell you for sure, but I would
bet that there is not enough water in the dough. Try adding water to
it to make a very slack dough, one that doesn't hold its shape when
slapped on a table. I also find that retarding pizza doughs in the
fridge for at least 12 hours help make crispier crusts. Roll it as
thin as you can on plenty of flour, and then dock it very deeply (I
have a docking pin for this, I find forks don't penetrate the dough enough).

I'm assuming your baking on a preheated stone in a very hot oven (as
high as your oven can go)?

RisaG wrote:
>Yes, I preheated the oven to 450 F (if I go higher than that my
>smoke alarm goes on!) for about 20-30 minutes and my pizza stone is
>always in the oven!
>
>I will try making the dough slacker and dock it as hard as I can.
>Thanks for the suggestion.
>
>BTW, this is basically the dough recipe -
>
>1 tsp SAF yeast
>1 cup lukewarm water -- or a bit less
>2 cups all-purpose flour -- + more for dusting
>1 tbsp basil-infused olive oil
>1 tsp salt
>
>See anything wrong?

It looks to me like there is not enough water. I cup of water for 2
cups of flour usually yields a pretty stiff dough, which will make a
very chewy crust--not a crisp, thin one. I would definitely increase
the water, probably as much as 1/2 cup more. I like my pizza doughs
to be soft and slack. They are so much easier to roll out, and I can
get them really thin. It's a totally different animal than the
typical chewy pizza crust.

Also, one trick I learned at work: our pizza crusts for the Crispanis
(our thin, crisp crust pizza) has wheat germ added to it; this is
odd, I know, but it just adds the most amazing flavor and crunch to the crust.

Roxanne