Re: french bread recipe (v106.n026)

"Barrie J. Lax" <barlax@synapse.net>
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:23:41 -0400
v106.n027.9
Here is the recipe I mentioned last week. I decided to go for a true
French Bread texture, so opted for a very slack dough and minimum
kneading with no punch down. also added a little oil, mostly to
enhance keeping quality.

Barrie J. Lax (Collection)
TITLE: Peasant Bread
KEY:
ABM/Oven

AUTHOR:  The Bread Machine Cookbook
DATE: November 5, 2001
COMMENTS: Adapted. Excellent French Bread

Water 1 1/2 cups
Oil 1/2 tsp
Flour 3 1/2 cups Canadian A.P.  Tap once.
Salt 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Yeast 3 tsp

PreHeat oven to 500F (or highest possible)

Set Zo as follows.
Preheat 9 min (or omit all together)
Knead   6 min.
Rise    1 hr.

Divide dough in two and roll and stretch to baton shape.
Place in French Bread (double baguette) pan. Slash if desired.
Allow to rise in warm place for another hour.
Place in oven and reduce heat to 350F.
Spray oven with water after 10 minutes. Again after another ten.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes until done.
This bread is excellent, large holes and great crumb.
Very close to best bought French baton or baguette.

Try as a Cuban bread, placing in cold oven and heating to 375F.
I use Canadian AP flour which more closely approximates French flour.
Dough should be very slack and stick to pan and kneading blades.
Knead just enough for smooth dough to form.
Do not punch down. Dough will depress enough on handling.

Original recipe was baked in a loaf pan at 375F, egg washed and
sprinkled with sesame seeds. Also bakes in ABM.