Re: Pain l'ancienne and whole wheat flour, and dough on airplane

debunix <debunix@well.com>
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:18:52 -0500
v106.n024.8
>Has anyone tried substituting whole wheat flour in pain a
>l'ancienne?  If yes, can anyone share their results with me?

I've never made it with anything else, and it works splendidly.  I
use a very fine, home-milled hard white wheat flour, and though I
have gotten lazy and do not measure my water very precisely each
time,  I believe I add 10-15% more because the whole wheat is
thirstier flour. I do it in the food processor (as I posted in last
week's digest).   I made a batch of dough last Monday, and because of
an unusually busy week, didn't get to take it out of the fridge to
finish rising and shaping until last night--the 6th day after I
started it--and it made some lovely pizzas and a few small rolls.  It
is my favorite recipe.

And re:  the dough on the airplane:  I've not taken completed dough
on before, but I have shipped bags of pre-measured ingredients for
recipes several times, and sometimes my checked luggage gets searched
and sometimes it doesn't.  I think the yeast shouldn't be too
traumatized by the pressure changes; I'd be more concerned by the
possibility of it being too active and becoming alcoholic while
you're in transit.  One way to get around that would be to use
instant yeast and cold water when preparing the dough, and to chill
it thoroughly for several hours before you leave.  If the trip is
short enough, and you can keep it well insulated (but loosely wrapped
enough for easy inspection if need be), it should arrive before it
has completed the first rise.

Diane Brown in St. Louis

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html