Re: Whole Wheat Crackers

Dave Glaze <daveglaze@shaw.ca>
Sun, 07 May 2006 20:53:51 -0700
v106.n020.6
Jerry,

I can't remember if I made that particular recipe from Alford and
Duguid's book, but I am a cracker lover and have made several kinds
from that book and elsewhere.  I found that rolling by hand was not
successful for me as I couldn't get consistent thickness
throughout.  I now use a pasta maker and can get them paper thin.  I
roll them out then lay them on a lightly greased half sheet pan.  I
use a pizza cutter to quickly cut across the strips to make smaller
crackers.  Then I salt them and put them into the oven.  The other
advantage of this method is that you get more even browning.  The
purpose of pricking with a fork is so the cracker doesn't balloon up
like a pita does.  But when they do balloon they just make a
different looking cracker and are just as tasty.  I haven't found it
necessary to use the fork because the crackers are so thin.  I will
try the whole wheat cracker recipe from Duguid and Alford to see if
it works as well as the other crackers I make.

Cheers,
Dave