sourdough

<j_r_quinton@sbcglobal.net>
Sun, 7 May 2006 08:34:30 -0500
v106.n020.1
Fellow Kneaders

At a recent baking preparation when I started to remove my starter
from the jar I dug into large chunks of ice.  The refrigerator must
have been too cold and the starter partially froze.  Since I'd
started the process I figured keep going.  The sourdoughs in the
Yukon must have run into the same problem.  I used warmer tap water
than usual and stirred it very well.  I let the starter mix work
overnight then let it work some more with more flour and water.  I
also increased the rise time and kneading to be on the safe
side.  The result - as good four loaves of bread as I've had in a long time.

I think the real moral of the story is that starter is
indestructible.  Don't fret over it.  One of mine exploded in the
refrigerator, just blew off the cap, and kept on doing good.

Hooch.  My starter, from infrequent use or whatever, always shows
lots of hooch.  As so many have posted just stir it in.  No Problem.

Joe Quinton
Kingsville TX