Bread from Sweet Potatoes

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:16:52 -0500
v106.n018.4
This just goes to show that if you've been teaching long enough, you
probably have a recipe covering every subject.

Rosemary Jasso wanted a bread from Sweet Potatoes. This is a recipe I
taught in 1985!

Yummy Yams Hot Cross Buns

1/4 cup warm water
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 ounces peeled raw sweet potatoes
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, firm
3 eggs
2/3 cup currants

Combine water, yeast and sugar in small bowl. Let stand until foamy.

Measure all ingredients.

Shred sweet potato with fine shredding disk into Processor work bowl.
Remove disk and leave potato in work bowl. Immediately after
shredding, proceed with adding the other ingredients, so the potatoes
do not have time to darken.

Insert Metal Blade, twisting to get it to the bottom of the bowl. Add
flour, sugar, salt and butter. Cover and run machine for 30 seconds
to combine ingredients.

Remove small feed tube and, with machine running, pour in yeast and
then the eggs. This will make a very soft dough. After the last egg
is incorporated, run machine for no more than 30 additional seconds.
Stop. Add approximately half the currants to the bottom of a gallon
zip type bag. Scrape dough into bad and pour in remaining currants.
Close the bag, squeezing out the air. Squeeze dough and currants to
combine well. Set dough aside in warm, draft free place to rise until
doubled, 20-30 minutes.

Punch dough down by squeezing bag and empty out onto counter that has
been sprayed with a non-stick pan spray.

Pat out into a circle shape about 3/4" thick. Cut with floured
biscuit type cutter and transfer to greased baking sheet. A 2" size
cutter will yield approximately 20 buns.

Cut shallow crosses in the top of each bun with a very sharp knife.
Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free
area to rise. A dent in the dough will remain when the dough has risen enough.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Bake rolls 15-20 minutes, until they are beginning to tan. Remove to
rack to cool and pipe a simple frosting into the previously slit
crosses. Do not cover until the frosting has set. Enjoy.

Cracks in bread
Someone else enquired about getting cracks in their bread. I had that
happen, particularly with one recipe. I think it was in a previous
Bread Bakers that someone gave me the answer. My dough had not risen
enough before it is put into the oven, therefore it had excessive
oven spring, and cracked. When I let it rise longer before baking,
this usually did not happen. If letting it rise longer makes the
finished product too big for the pan, choose a different pan size.