Bread Machine Rolls

"Gerald Ulett" <tusko45@hotmail.com>
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:01:08 -0700
v106.n016.6
This recipe has become my most requested. Not the recipe, but the
rolls themselves. My son-in-law will frequently eat them without
adding any butter.

The original recipe was from Allrecipes but has been somewhat revised
by me after using it for so long.

1 cup warm water (110 F.)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon salt (Or a little more if using coarse kosher salt)
2 cups unbleached bread flour (425 grams)
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup dry milk powder (18 grams)
1 package active dry yeast (0.25 ounces or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 egg white
2 tablespoons water

Place the first 7 items in the bread machine pan and run using the
dough cycle. After about 5 minutes, scrape the sides of the pan down
to incorporate any flour which has remained there.

After the dough cycle has completed, remove the dough, deflate and
turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into twelve equal
pieces and form into rounds.

Place the rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with a damp
cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix the egg white and 2 tablespoons of water together in a small bowl
and brush lightly onto the rolls.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the rolls are
golden brown. Cool on a rack.

I have on occasion forgotten to brush the rolls with the egg white
and water before baking them and have brushed them afterwards using
soft oleo or Pam to add color.