Re: Panera Bread egg-souffles

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 06:44:45 -0600
v106.n016.2
Lynne,

You might be able to make a pretty good version of croissant dough
using the "blitz" puff pastry method. I remember making this in my
Pastry classes many years ago, but can't quite remember what it is. I
think there may be a version of it in The Bread Bible. A Google
search may turn up something.

The technique is similar to making pie pastry: half the butter is cut
into the dry ingredients like pie pastry; the liquid is mixed in;
then it is shaped into rectangle. After a resting period, the rest of
the butter is laminated in once or twice. The process is a lot less
tedious than traditional croissant dough. It might be a touch less
flakey, but for quiche, I wouldn't be able to tell.

Roxanne