Re: Keeping your loaves...

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Skallywagg ...)
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:34:57 -0400
v106.n014.8
Jay Lofstead wrote:  "As a home baker, is it better to par-bake the
loaves, freeze, and later defrost and bake or to just bake completely
and freeze? From what I have been reading, it seems complete baking
seems to be the better recommendation for non-commercial bakeries.
Does anyone have any experiences they could relate to help me choose?"

Long experience has taught me that it is better to complete the
baking process rather than par-bake them (good word "par-bake."
;-)).  Bake your loaves and then LET THEM COOL COMPLETELY.

After they are cooled, slice them and put them in a baggie.  Get as
much as air out of the bag as you can before sealing.  You can easily
"pop" off as many slices as you need when you are ready for some.  If
they don't come apart easily, use a table knife.  You can "crisp up"
the bread by putting it in an aluminum pie plate, covering with foil,
and then heating in a preheated 400 F oven for 10 minutes.  Or you
can, of course, toast it.

Bob the Tarheel Baker