Re: Drafty kitchen?

Debunix <debunix@well.com>
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:23:52 -0500
v106.n014.4
On Sunday, April 2, 2006, at 06:58 AM, Andrea wrote:

>fluffy white bread for sandwiches. I've tried to make bread a few
>times, but found it not rising enough.  I
>think my kitchen is drafty and that has an effect.

I wouldn't blame the drafts; they may slow the rise but should not
prevent it from reaching a good final expansion.  Many doughs do best
with long slow cool rises for better flavor development.

Not being a fluffy white sandwich bread afficionado myself, I can
only say that when I want high springing sandwich-type bread I
usually add about one egg per loaf to my favorite buttermilk bread
recipe (from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book--just a basic whole
wheat loaf with a bit of yeast, honey, buttermilk and a touch of
butter), give it a little extra kneading, and I try to be very
patient with the rises, allowing it to get just shy of total collapse
at each stage.

Diane Brown in St. Louis
http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html