San Francisco Sourdough

"Diane Brown" <debunix@well.com>
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:44:02 -0800 (PST)
v106.n011.10
Not to take anything away from the breads already discussed in this
thread, but just to expand the selection a bit....

My favorite breads that I am always seeking when I come back to visit
in the Bay Area are the Campagna con Noci from Metropolis Bakery and
Acme's sourdough baguettes.  The first is a not-very-sour bread I
think from a wild yeast starter but not a classic sourdough, but the
combination of that plus walnuts is an amazingly fine bread worth
seeking out at local groceries.  It makes great toast, bread for
cheese, sops up soups, or just gobbled up by handfuls torn from the
loaf.  And Acme's baguettes are just superb.

Diane Brown (usually in St. Louis, but presently logging in from the
Bay Area, where I'm planning to acquire some Campagna con noci today