Rosette recipe

Maggie Glezer <glezer@mindspring.com>
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:43:50 -0500
v106.n011.6
Dear Francine,

What an excellent post to the forum!  You have great links, a really
clear explanation of Italian flour, and translated the recipe so well.

I would like to say that I tried to include this recipe in my first
book, _Artisan Baking_ and even have a photo of an Italian baker
making his rosette, Joe Generoso, on page 196. But even his rosette
were hardly ever hollow. I concluded that rosette were beyond the
ability of the home baker, because of the specialized equipment
needed.  While we can make wonderful crusty rolls, making
consistently hollow rolls is almost impossible.  You need a really
powerful mixer, which I still haven't found for the home baker, and I
think I have tried them all, a moist proofing environment that can
maintain 86F, a special stamp to make the pattern, and a hearth oven
with great steam.

So, when in Rome, be sure to eat the rosette!

Best,

Maggie Glezer