baking temperature for reeeeeeeeelly big challah

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:53:02 -0800 (PST)
v106.n011.3
In Peter Reinhart's "Baker's Apprentice", he has a wonder challah recipe.

The aproximately 3 lb  of dough makes two loaves or one "celebration"
loaf. He suggests baking the  single loaf at 325F instead of the 350F
for the 1 1/2 loaves.

In Maggie Glezer's"Blessing of Bread", she has directions for
"celebration" loaves that are 3 lbs and more but no baking directions.

On pages 74 and 75 she has Compound" breads that I would like to make
for a friend's 90th birthday dinner.

They are basically individual braids baked so they "grow" together

I can understand lowering the temperature for a greater mass so that
the outer areas do not become overcooked. Does that make sense?

Do I lower? Start cold? Start low and increase?

Any help out there? I would greatly appreciate it

Is there a formula I can use?

Many thanks, Fredericka