Re: Yeast

"Pedro S. Arellano III" <pedrothethird@qwest.net>
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:31:43 -0600
v106.n009.9
Bettyho33@aol.com wrote:
>Every time I make bread that uses regular dried yeast and it says to
>add to warm water, my bread does not rise well or it rises too fast
>and collapses just as I am ready to bake it.  I know my water is not
>too hot and the yeast is a relatively new=20 package.  What would
>cause this do you suppose?

Just go out and buy an instant read thermometer and make sure the
water is 110 F degrees.  That is if you want a loaf ready for the
oven in 15 seconds (slight hyperbole) or whatever.  115 (or is it
117? whatever, close enough for jazz) really is the max or you start
killing the yeast.

110F may be to high for you.  Maybe you'll like the slower
rise.  Start getting the water below 70 and you'll be waiting quite a
bit longer below 50 and you'll be waiting even longer.  below 40 and
you'll be baking in between shaves.  So you see cold water will make
the rise take longer and hot water will result in the bread not
rising too well c.f. death by overheating.  It really doesn't have to
be that complicated or scary though.  Just go out and get the
thermometer.  Alright, alright sheesh!  If you absolutely think that
getting a thermometer is too a... retentive or painful than just make
sure the water is tepid.  It should feel about the same temp as your
skin.  Judas H., that is kind of complicated too hah?  That's it I
quit.  Nice knowin ya'll.  Ok, maybe not.  Hope you chose to keep
baking.  I will, cause dangit I'm addicted
:-

Your Fellow Bread Baking Fiend,
Pedro