Scale Increments

Popthebaker@aol.com
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:40:39 EST
v106.n009.6
The Salter 2001 measures in 1 gram increments up to 1000 g and then
it goes to 2 gram increments. The Salter 2002, and perhaps other
models, uses 2 gram increments for up to 2000 g and then it goes to 5
gram increments. Unless you are making very small batches of bread
that call for less than a gram of a particular ingredient 1 gram
increments are adequate. If you regularly work in recipes/formulas
that call for ingredients that are less than 1 gram I would suggest
using a powder and bullet scale. These are usually balance scales
used in reloading firearms ammunition and weigh in grains, the old
apothecary system. One gram = 15.43 grains. I have done this a few
times, more out of curiosity than necessity. I do have a couple of
formulas that require very small amounts of yeast and have used the
scale for those. The editor's note is correct. 1 gram is a small
increment in most recipes/formulas. In practical terms if you need
less than one gram just weigh it out then divide it by eye to
approximate a half or quarter of a gram. I do have a set of
"pinch-dash" measuring spoons that I have calibrated for measuring
small amounts of yeast.

Pop