Sourdough Rye Starter

THOS E SAWYER <jntsawyer@sbcglobal.net>
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:07:51 -0800 (PST)
v106.n004.7
PUMPERNICKEL RYE BREAD OMISSION:  Sorry, I omitted Beatrice
Ojakangas' sourdough pot starter that can be used in her sourdough
pumpernickel rye bread recipe that I recently sent in .  While this
bread is not a true sourdough bread since it includes the use of
yeast, I found it an EASY recipe to make and in that perspective,  I
gave it a high rating. I  usually use my own supply of sourdough
starter ("Oscar"--needs regular exercise) instead of making this
one.  This is her recipe if one does not have sourdough going.

Yield: About 2 Cups

1 C warm water (105 to 115 F)
1 C unbleached all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, or medium rye flour
1/8 tsp active dry yeast

In a large nonrective bowl or crock w/tight-fiting lid), mix the
water, flour, and yeast.  cover, and let stand 24 to 26 hours, until
the starter is bubbly and has a sweet-sour aroma. Cover and
refrigerate for storage.

I enjoy other whole grain  bread recipes that use sourdough, but
because I  presently have a lot of rye berries, I look for recipes
using rye flour.

Replenish after each use w/a mixture of half water and half
flour.  Let stand at room temperature 1 to 2 hours, until
bubbly.  Cover and refrigerate.

Joanne Sawyer