Ulmerbrot

"mrsu@juno.com" <mrsu@juno.com>
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:41:07 GMT
v106.n002.10
Is this a black type bread? I have a Russian,German, and Polish
cookbook that has a black bread recipe used for dessert. It doesn't
say where in Germany it is used but here it is. I wrote it exactly as
it is in the book.

Melissa

Black Bread (from Russian,German, and Polish Cooking by Catherine
Atkinson and Trish Davies)

50 g (2 oz) (1/2 cup) rye flour
40 g (1 1/2 oz) (1/3 cup) plain four
4 ml (1/4 tsp.) baking powder
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) salt
1.5 ml (1/4 tsp.) cinnamon
1.5 ml (1/4 tsp.) nutmeg
50 g (2 oz) (1/3 cup) fine semolina
60 ml (4 Tbs.) black treacle
200 ml (7 floz) (scant 1 cup) cultured buttermilk*
cherry jam, soured cream or creme fraiche and a sprinkling of ground
allspice, to serve

1. Grease and line 2 x 400g (14 oz) fruit cans. Sift the flours,
baking powder, salt, and spices into a large bowl. Stir in the semolina.

2. Add the black treacle and buttermilk and mix thoroughly.

3. Divide the mixture between the 2 tins, then cover each with a
double layer of greased pleated foil.

4. Place the cans on a trivet in a large pan and pour in enough hot
water to come halfway up the sides. Cover tightly and steam for 2
hours, checking the water level occasionally.

5. Carefully remove the cans from the steamer. Turn the bread out on
a  wire rack and cool completely. Wrap in foil and use within 1 week.
Serve the bread in slices with cherry jam, topped with a spoonful of
soured cream or creme fraiche and a sprinkling of allspice.**

*if you cannot get buttermilk, use ordinary milk instead, first
soured with 5ml (1 tsp.) lemon juice.

**the picture shows cherry jam on half and the soured cream on the
other half of each slice.