composition of eggs

"dalepadams@juno.com" <dalepadams@juno.com>
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:19:50 GMT
v105.n048.5
Hello to all the friendly bread bakers on this list.  I am responding
to the person who wants to know the amount of water in eggs.  My
information comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's book
called Composition of Foods.  My edition is several decades old but I
figure that the information on eggs has not changed much over the
years.  This book has information on chicken, duck, turkey, and goose
eggs.  Information is given on whole eggs, both raw and cooked
several different ways and on yolk and whites separately.  It also
has information on dried eggs. The composition of raw chicken eggs is
summarized as follows:  73.7% water, 12.9% protein, 11.5% fat, 0.9%
carbohydrates.  The remainder is minerals and vitamins.  I hope this
is what you wanted to know.  The information in this book is most
likely what is used to calculate composition of foods that is present
on nutritional labels on foods, since components are weighed into
vats for processing in the food industry.  You do have to know the
approximate weight of eggs that you are using in your recipe in order
to calculate the actual amount of water that eggs are adding.  This
composition is for the edible portion (shell not included).