Re: Keeping bread in refrigerators

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:00:38 -0700
v105.n047.14
Bread has two enemies, staling and molding.  Which affect you depend
on where you live, the humidity there, as well as how much mold is in the air.

When I lived on the Gulf coast, bread at room temperature would mold
in about 2 days.  Here in the Rocky Mountains, staling happens in
about a week, and molding takes a long, long time.

The temperature in a refrigerator accelerates the crystallization of
the starches in the bread.  Or... it speeds up staling.

You are better off keeping it at room temperature or freezing
it.  But, the in between temperature is the worst choice.

Many people I know slice their bread (if it's not already sliced) and
put the loaf in the freezer.  Then they pull slices out of the
package as they need it.

A good friend tells me that if you are worried about this soft of
stuff, you aren't eating enough bread.  Eat it before it spoils!

Good luck,
Mike
..The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable
operating system and Linus Torvaldis claims to be trying to take over
the world...