Dakota Bread (yeast and sourdough versions)

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:33:33 -0700
v105.n046.5
>From: "Dana Wood" <wood23@cox.net>
>Subject: seeking recipe for Dakota bread
>
>I love the Dakota bread from Great Harvest Bread company and
>would  love to make something like it. I have done some searching
>for a recipe but am unable to locate anything on it. Can anyone help?

You betcha!  This is great.  My changes are in parens.  I think I've
probably posted this here before.

I mixed the seeds right into the dough and didn't use the egg glaze.
The seeds ALWAYS fall off when I put them on the top, so I just don't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DAKOTA BREAD, (Cafe Latte's)
got from Kathleen <schuller@ix.netcom.com>
from Savoring the Seasons of the Northern
Heartland, by Beth Dooley & Lucia Watson, Knoph, 1994.

2 cups warm water -- (105 to 115 F)
2 packages active dry yeast (or 2 scant tablespoons)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cracked wheat (used 7 grain cereal)
1 Tablespoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or more for kneading)
1/2 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
1/3 cup hulled raw pumpkin seeds (didn't have, but would be good, I bet)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
1 egg -- beaten

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, honey, oil, and cracked
wheat and allow to proof about 5 to 10 minutes, or until the yeast is
light and bubbly. Add the salt, whole wheat and white flours, and
stir to combine.

Dump the dough out onto a well-floured surface and begin to knead,
adding enough flour to make nice soft dough. Knead about 10 to 15
minutes, sprinkling with more flour as necessary, or until the dough
is smooth and elastic. You may want to use more flour depending on
the dryness of the cracked wheat and the flours, as well as the
general humidity.

Mix the seeds together and sprinkle them over the dough, reserving a
few tablespoons to sprinkle over the loaves before baking. Then knead
the seeds into the dough. Turn the dough into a greased bowl, cover
with a dishtowel, and set it in a warm place. Allow the dough to rise
until double in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down. Let it rest
for 5 minutes. Divide the dough and shape it into 2 large or 3 small
round loaves, and place them on lightly greased baking sheets. Let
rise 25 to 30 minutes. Brush the loaves with a beaten egg and
sprinkle on any remaining seeds. Bake the loaves in a preheated 375 F
oven for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, or until the loaves are
nicely browned and sound hollow when tapped. Remove the loaves from
the oven and cool on wire racks.

Makes 2 loaves.

NOTES: Cafe Latte is a bustling cafeteria and bakery tucked into one
of St. Paul's oldest neighborhoods, not far from the wide, elm-lined
Summit Avenue where F. Scott Fitzgerald grew up. Here, in this
renovated Victorian storefront, Cafe Latte owners Linda and Peter
Quinn mill their own wheat, rye, and cornmeal for daily bread
specials. Dakota Bread is Cafe Latte's bestseller, and patrons often
call a week in advance to reserve loaves. It is a light, nutty bread
studded with sunflower and pumpkin seeds from North Dakota.

DAKOTA BREAD (sourdough version by Lobo)
The odd measurements (1/5 c, etc.) are due to how
I converted the recipe to sourdough

2 cups expanded sourdough (Note 1)
1 1/5 cups warm water -- (105 to 115 F)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 cup cracked wheat (I used 7 grain cereal)
1 Tablespoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour (Note 2)
1/2 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
1/3 cup hulled raw pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
3 4/5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or more for kneading)

Note 1: "expanded sourdough" means take starter out of frig, add
flour and water, let sit overnight or 'til it's bubbly) ... the
consistency of muffin batter

Note 2: January 2004: I used 1/3 c. each roasted non-malted black
barley, crystal malt and Briess torrified wheat malt loribond 2.0 --
good, although the black barley gives it a stronger flavor I don't
like real well. August 2004: used 1/2 c. each of the crystal malt and
Briess and only 3 c. flour -- super ... very light and fluffy. August
2005: used 1 c of the Briess and think I like this best.  I get these
grains at the local brew store and grind them in my coffee grinder)

Combine everything except the white flour and let sit 10 minutes. Add
flour to make soft dough and knead until the dough is smooth and
elastic. Let rise until double in bulk. Punch the dough down. Let it
rest for 5 minutes. Divide the dough and shape it into 2 loaves, and
place them in lightly greased bread pans. Let rise until double in
bulk. Bake the loaves in a preheated 350 F oven for 30 to 40 minutes,