Seasoning Dutch Ovens

WLHelms@aol.com
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:05:59 EDT
v105.n044.3
The secret to using a Dutch Oven and getting great results, without
rust stains, etc., is all in the seasoning of the oven prior to first
use. I must agree with Allen Cohn about not using Crisco as a
seasoning agent. However, I must disagree with using cooking oil
because some oils become somewhat tacky. My suggestion is to use
plain old lard, available in most markets under the name Manteca. The
secret is not to puddle the melting liquid. I prefer to melt the lard
in a pot and use a brush to apply it to the Dutch Oven and it's lid
(inside and out) using paper towel to wipe away any excess that may puddle.

Seasoning an oven doesn't happen in one firing. My recommendation is
to apply the lard and fire the oven at least three (3) times. This
will create the thick, hard, black patina that is sought after which
keeps food from sticking and not allowing it to come in contact with
the cast-iron oven. I recommend using a gas grill that will support
the Dutch Oven. Turn the oven and it's lid upside down and bake them
at the highest heat setting for 1 hour. Allow the Dutch Oven to cool
completely and repeat the process two or more times. I believe you
will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Remove cooked foods from your Dutch Oven as soon as possible and
clean immediately; do not allow food to remain in the oven overnight.
With proper care you oven will last for generations.

Happy Baking,

Wayne
Ogden, Utah