Re: Stovetop raised bread

Debunix <debunix@well.com>
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:26:37 -0500
v105.n042.7
Elisabeth Keene <swanmore@yahoo.com> wrote:
>My son now lives in Beijing, and he cannot get any bread that is
>really edible! He's used to my slow-rise bread! He doesn't have a
>real oven, only a tiny, tiny toaster oven, and two gas rings.

Check out the recipes Flatbreads and Flavors by Alford & Duguid.  It
has a marvelous array of breads cooked in different ways, including
stovetop techniques.  I'd start there.  You won't get a nice fat
sandwich-style loaf, but you can make tasty breads if you make them thinner.

And if he could has the ability to cook outside where charcoal is
safe to use, he might try a proper dutch oven, designed for coals top
& bottom, to make thicker breads.  Having never really used one,
however, I can't give any tips or suggestions.

Diane Brown in St. Louis

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html