recycling challah - 3 recipes to adapt

RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com>
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
v105.n040.18
I have 2 recipes for you - 1 from the Barefoot Contessa that you
would have to adapt as it uses croissants. The second from Food
Network that I haven't tried but it looks really good and the third
one is from Mimi's Cyber-Kitchen, one of my favorite websites. I've
been posting at their recipe request board for too many years and
everything I've ever made has come out amazingly good. This is for a
Chocolate Bread Pudding.

Ina Garten from Barefoot Contessa has a most amazing Croissant Bread
Pudding recipe that I've adapted with challah that works really well.

3 extra-large eggs
8 extra-large egg yolks
5 cups half-and-half
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 croissants, pref stale
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, yolks,
half-and-half, sugar and vanilla. Set the custard mixture aside.
Slice the croissants in half, horizontally. In a 10x15x2.5 inch oval
baking dish, distribute the bottoms of the sliced croissants, then
add the raisins, then the tops of the croissants (brown side up),
being sure the raisins are between the layers of croissants or they
will burn while baking. Pour the custard over the croissants and
allow to soak for 10 minutes, pressing down gently.

Place the pan in a larger one filled with an inch of hot waer. Cover
the larger pan with aluminum foil, tenting the foil so it doesn't
touch the pudding. Cut a few holes in the foil to allow steam to
escape. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 40-45 more minutes
or until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set. Remove from the
oven and cool slightly.

Challah Bread Pudding Frittata
Recipe courtesy Harmony Marceau, The Next Food Network Star Show

3 eggs
1 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 (1-inch thick) slices challah bread, crusts removed and bread cubed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 slices good quality ham, chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 spring onions, white part only, thinly sliced

In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs and half and half until
frothy. Add the tarragon, some salt and pepper, and whisk together.
Add the cubed challah and let it soak in the egg mixture for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small oven-proof skillet
over medium-high heat. Add the ham, peppers and spring onions. Cook,
stirring occasionally, until the ham is a bit browned, about 5
minutes. Stir in the remaining butter and spread the ham and
vegetables out evenly in the pan. Pour in the challah-egg mixture and
let cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and
cook until the frittata becomes light and fluffy, about 3 more
minutes. Place the pan under the broiler until the top is browned,
about 1 minute. Transfer the frittata to a plate and cut into wedges.
Note: If you don't have a broiler, use a heat proof rubber spatula
and carefully flip the frittata over, and cook for 1 minute. Or, melt
a tablespoon of butter in a separate skillet until it sizzles. Pour
the melted butter over the frittata and place the empty skillet over
the frittata pan. Holding both handles, carefully flip the pans over,
and cook the frittata on the other side for a minute.

Chocolate Challah Bread Pudding
Posted by : Ruth Heiges, Mimi's Cyber-Kitchen

CHOCOLATE CHALLAH BREAD PUDDING
Serves 8.

1 pound challah, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
3 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
6 large eggs
2 yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Spread challah cubes on cookie sheet and let dry in warm oven (250 F)
about 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a small saucepan combine
the chocolate, milk and cream over medium heat, whisking until
mixture is smooth. In a large bowl whisk the eggs and yolks with the
sugar and add the hot mixture in a steady stream. Whisk in the
vanilla. Stir in the challah. Transfer the mixture to a buttered
3-quart shallow baking dish. Let stand 10 minutes for challah to
absorb the custard mixture. Bake about 30 to 35 minutes or until a
knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

(c) 1999, Jewish Bulletin of Northern California
www.jewishsf.com/jb/cook.htm

Serves 1

Good luck with your leftover challah! What a find in the freezer!

RisaG