Re: bread machine taste

Andyfrog@aol.com
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:43:25 EDT
v105.n040.6
lisa@stolze.us wrote:
>I am using a bread  machine for all my breads, but I've noticed that
>no matter what recipe I use, the bread all tastes the same.

Lisa--I remember that problem from my early bread machine baking
days. I found that my machine needed a lot less yeast (depending on
the dough--whole grains need a bit more) and I never use vital wheat
gluten. Since I've cut back on the yeast (sometimes only a tsp. of
yeast is needed for a recipe calling for three cups of flour) and
eliminated the gluten (which seemed to bother my stomach), the breads
all have their own flavor. Experiment with less yeast. If
you use a "Quick" cycle, you may need a bit more yeast--but I've also
found I  can let the machine knead until the dough comes together,
then I cancel the cycle, and restart the cycle from the beginning.
That extra five minutes of kneading seems to make a difference when
using the "Quick" cycle with the whole  grain doughs and it lets me
use less yeast. Hope this helps.

Andy in  NJ