rye crisp

lobo <lobo119@bresnan.net>
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:26:23 -0600
v105.n037.10
>From: Marcksmar@aol.com
>Does anyone have a recipe for a rye cracker similar to Rye
>Krisp?  They seem not to be made any longer.
>Mar

Here are 2; I haven't tried either.  Let us know if they work.

from:  http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/45/241363.shtml

Title: Norwegian Flatbread
Yield: 10 Servings

Ingredients

       2 sm potatoes, boiled or baked
       1   and pureed in the blender
       1   or food processor (about
       1   1/2 cup)
       2 c of rye flour
     1/4 ts salt
     1/3 c water or potato water

Instructions

"It is impossible to find a more spartan cracker than Norwegian
Flatbread. It can be made with only rye flour, salt, and water, but
adding a pureed vegetable, such as potatoes, increases the nutritive
value and adds subtle flavor. This flatbread is excellent with mild cheeses.

In a large bowl or in the food processor, blend the pureed potato,
flour, and salt together.

Add the water and blend well until the dough will hold together in a
cohesive ball. With a sharp knife, divide into 10 equal portions.
Turn these out, one at a time, onto a floured surface and roll into
circles. Roll as thin as possible, at most 1/8 inch, so each is
approximately 7 to 8 inches across. Prick all over with the tines of a fork.

Lightly oil a griddle or large skillet and heat until it is very hot.
One by one, place the rolled circles onto the griddle and cook until
the bottoms begin to show light browning. Then turn and cook the
other side. Keep turning until the whole cracker is dry and crisp. Do
not allow the flatbread to get more than medium brown. Cool on a
rack. Yield: 10.

VARIATIONS: Substitute any pureed vegetable for potatoes. Flours
other than rye can also be used. Try wheat or barley. If the dough is
too sticky to roll, add a little more flour. Letting the dough rest
for an hour after mixing will also make it easier to roll.

Flatbread can also be cooked in the oven. Bake on an ungreased baking
sheet at 400 F. for 8 to 12 minutes, or until crisp, turning 2 or 3 times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't know where this one came from:

Flatbrød,
1 1/4 cups rye flour,
1 1/4 cups white flour
1/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup crisco
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 cups boiling water.

Mix the dry ingredients, then add the water to make approximately eight (8).