Re: vegan substitute for whey powder?

"Jonathan Kandell" <jkandell@sysmatrix.net>
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:32:03 -0700
v105.n033.3
Sue Hermosillo asked
>Can you (or anyone) think of a substitution for the sweet whey
>powder.  I don't even know what chemical or flavor properties it
>brings, and without knowing that I can't even begin to think of a
>non-animal substitution.

Whey is what's left over after your curdle the solids out of
milk.  When you make tofu the same thing happens.  You get the solids
(tofu) and a transluscent liquid.  You could use this for the whey
substitute (and cut down the liquid).  If it were me I'd just use
water with a little soymilk in it for sweetness (whey is slightly
sweet and slightly acid) :-)

jk