Re: grinding other things

debunix <debunix@well.com>
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:51:18 -0500
v105.n033.1
>Can you grind rice and such in all these grinders?  I read that
>using a variety of flours is good so that you do not become allergic to more.

I love to use a variety of grains in my cooking.  A handful of
toasted barley adds a wonderful flavor to a loaf of bread; teff makes
a wonderful gingerbread; buckwheat makes great pancakes.  In my
kitchenetics kitchen mill (electric impact mill) I have successfully ground:

wheat, rye, barley, oats, rice, buckwheat, quinoa
amaranth, teff, corn, soybeans, fava beans

Plus many spices and herbs when used in small amounts mixed into the
above (i.e., a teaspoon of cinnamon chips in 1 cups' worth of wheat).

These did not work:  granulated sugar (some melted and smoked on the
impact heads, and the result was not really powdered); and dried
chunks of ginger root (it nearly burnt out the motor).  Despite those
experiences, and requiring service on one occasion, my mill is now 20
years old, has ground its way through probably a ton of wheat, and is
still going strong.

Diane Brown in St. Louis

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html

More notes on adventures with the grain mill here:

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/WholeBaking.html