Re: Lambert's throwed rolls

Amy <amy@best.com>
Mon, 23 May 2005 23:04:32 -0700
v105.n023.6
In bread-bakers v105n022, Betty G <missbettyg@aol.com> asked about a recipe
for Lambert's throwed rolls.  I haven't been to Lamberts, but the rolls
sounded good, so I went searching on the net and found this recipe posted
on several different sites. The authenticity of the recipe is unclear. Some
claim it originated from the restaurant and was published in a newspaper,
others say it is a copycat recipe.

I haven't tried this recipe. If you look at the posting of this recipe on
Recipezaar <http://www.recipezaar.com/102734>, there are a number of recipe
reviews and pictures of the rolls. Most of the reviewers who tried the
recipe liked the rolls.

LAMBERT'S CAFE THROWED ROLLS

Source: Lambert's Cafe, Sikeston, Missouri

1 tsp. sugar
1 pkg. dry active yeast
1/4 C. tepid water (105 - 110F)
1 C. warm milk
1/4 C. melted butter
1/4 C. sugar
1 egg beaten (at room temperature)
1 tsp. salt
4 C. all-purpose flour, divided

Combine the 1 teaspoon of sugar and yeast in tepid water. Let stand 5 - 10
minutes until yeast begins to foam. Thoroughly mix milk, butter, sugar, egg
and salt in large bowl.

Stir in the yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of the flour, adding a bit more if
necessary to make a soft pliable dough. Turn dough out on floured board and
let rest while you clean and butter bowl. Knead dough gently, 4 - 5
minutes, adding flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and silky.

Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until
doubled in size.

Butter a 12 cup muffin tin. Punch down dough. Pinch off pieces about 1 1/2
inches in diameter (enough to fill 1/2 of muffin cup), and roll into smooth
spheres. Place two such pieces in each prepared muffin cup. (It should be a
tight fit). Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap for 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Bake rolls 20 - 25 minutes or until light brown.
Serve as soon as they are cool enough to throw. Makes 12 rolls.