Re: A proofing box for Iris in Liverpool

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Skallywagg ...)
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:39:08 -0400
v105.n018.7
I say, old thing, what's a nice girl like you doing in Liverpool?  ;-)))
*
I don't use a proofing box, Iris.  I find that my oven, with the light left
on, creates a perfect environment for my breads.  However, the article
below (found on the internet) gives you an idea and also expresses my
apprehension at using a styrofoam container.

Bob the Tarheel Baker
*
"A proofing box creates the perfect environment for leavening your bread
because the temperature and humidity can be easily regulated. I found a
portable metal oven designed for use on top of a woodburning heater stove
at a junk store for $15. I use it primarily to leaven bread, but never for
baking. It measures 18" high by 20" long by l2" deep, has a door with
windows on the front and oven racks inside. It is just perfect for a couple
of loaves of bread. I put a 60-watt light bulb on the bottom of the box,
and this I control with an in-line dimmer switch outside the box. I also
use an indoor-outdoor thermometer with a sensor inside the box. The beauty
of the thermometer is that I don't have to open the door to check on the
temperature. The dimmer switch controlling the light bulb quickly moves the
temperature up or down. I think it's a slick setup. The bread dough must be
covered when it goes in the box or it will dry out. I cover the bowl with a
plate.

A proofing box should be made out of metal because it is simple to clean,
doesn't easily allow the growth of mold and cannot catch fire. Check out
used appliance stores, lawn sales, and the town landfill for a suitable
box. Some bread books recommend Styrofoam coolers for proofing boxes, but I
don't like them because Styrofoam is a plastic substance that could be
perpetually out-gassing.

Your proofing box may also be an ideal environment to germinate flower and
vegetable seeds and to culture yogurt."

 From Stu's Web Page found in a Google search.