The Great Steam Debate

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Skallywagg ...)
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 06:55:27 -0400
v105.n017.1
Well, I haven't had so much fun in a long, long time.  I laughed a lot and
learned a lot.  Mostly, I learned is that I really don't think all the
hullabaloo about getting a little bit of steam into my home oven is going
to make all that much difference.  And thanks to the anonymous baker, I
learned that I will NEVER do that hotter-than-hell cast-iron pan trick.  ;-

Now, is anyone able to tell me why we say we "preheat" an oven?  Does that
mean we heat it before we heat it?  Sort of like pre-boarding an airplane,
isn't it?  How can you get on before you get on?

Bob the Tarheel Baker and part-time troublemaker  ;-)