Steam in oven:

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:05:34 -0600
v105.n015.7
I would disagree with those who think a pan of water does not produce
enough steam to be worthwhile. I had an oven with a very tight seal and
when I had a pan of water on the bottom rack, enough steam would be
produced to run in rivulets down the glass on the door.

I have spritzed, but think it is too short-lived to be of much help. I do
sometimes thoroughly wet the outside of the loaf just before putting into
the oven. I do that with my hands as it is quicker.

Incidentally, when I cook a roast in an open pan (rump, rib, tender type) I
put a pan of water in the bottom and find the roast looses less juice but
the water in the pan does evaporate.

Gloria Martin ggmartin2@juno.com