ABM Pita Bread

RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com>
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 05:47:22 -0800 (PST)
v105.n006.17
I have a recipe somewhere, that I've made successfully, and can't find it.
But I found other recipes online that folks have made - I will post my TNT
recipe when I find it.

Put in breadmaker:

1 cup + 1 Tbsp. warm water
2 Tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

Put on dough program & leave in till double.
Punch down and divide into 8 balls.
Roll out flat on lightly floured surface.
Put a flat, ungreased pan on the middle rack of the oven. Preheat to 475 F.
Bake 2 at a time for about 4 minutes.
Time depends on the thickness of the dough.
Let them cool between two dish towels.

Bread Machine Pita Bread

1 cup warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. oil
3 cups flour
3 tsp. yeast

Set on dough cycle. when done, cut into 12 small, equal sized balls.
Allow to rest while oven heats to 450 F. Put either a baking sheet or pizza
stone into oven while it heats.
Roll out into circles about 1/8 inches thick. Spritz oven with water, and
put first circle onto baking sheet or stone.
Bake for 3 minutes. (It will be light in color, but cooked). Remove from
oven, cool, and cover with a damp towel until ready to use.
These are good filled with chicken or seafood salad.

Pita Bread (Bread Machine)

1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

Do on dough program. After it has risen, take out, punch down, and divide
into 6 or 8 balls, depending on the size you like. Roll flat and bake on a
solid cookie sheet (ungreased) in the middle of a preheated 475 F oven for
about 4 minutes. I usually do 2 at a time.

Risa's note:

The important things with pita bread is not to roll it too thin and also to
really watch it once it is in the oven - 4 minutes or so is enough for each
ball of dough. I read somewhere that if you roll it too thin that it won't
puff in the middle when baked.

Good luck.

RisaG