bagel help

The Markhams <markhamtx@sbcglobal.net>
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:35:25 -0600
v105.n002.2
I tried making bagels from the Bread Baker's Apprentice today.  The flavor
was wonderful and the crust was nice and chewy.  But they were soggy in
spots. I'm sure this is a problem from the technique (my lack of
experience), not from the recipe.  I was wondering if anyone had any
suggestions before I attempted another batch.  (My husband claims he is
doing his best to eat this batch so I can make the next batch soon.)  It
seems like the soggy spots might be from air bubbles when the dough
rose.  or that they weren't perfectly smooth when i boiled them and some
water stayed in depressions in the dough.  These are just my guesses, I was
hoping someone might have experienced this and found the solution.

Thanks a bunch!  Carolyn