RE: Three Kings Bread

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:31:27 -0700
v105.n001.1
This bread is similar to what I make for Mardi Gras. By reading over the
directions I can tell the number one problem is the fact that the dough was
not kneaded at all. The result was that the bread ended up with no
structure to it, which is why it flattened out and turned out dense.

Even these sweet doughs with a lot of fat need to be kneaded.

My suggestion is to mix everything with half the flour first with the
paddle to your mixer for about 5 minutes. Then add the rest of the flour
and knead with the dough hook until the bread is smooth, elastic, and
satiny. You may need to add more flour, but you only want the dough to
clear the sides of the bowl while still sticking to the bottom.

Because there is so much butter in this bread, I would also suggest an
overnight rest in the fridge before shaping and the final proofing.

Good luck :)
Roxanne Rieske (Rokzane)
rokzane@comcast.net