Re: weight of flour

Howard Larson <hblarson@comcast.net>
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:42:09 -0600
v104.n055.8
My approach, which has been very successful, is to convert the recipe's
volume measurement to weight using the information in the nutrition label
on the flour bag.  While it is true some recipes were developed using the
dip-level-pour method, the method outlined above should get you real
close.  I have not had any trouble converting bread recipes this way.

An even better way is to develop your own recipe using a published recipe
as the starting point.  Using this method, you convert the recipe in volume
units to ratios using baker's ratios.  A copy of standard dough ratios and
information on its use may be found at
<http://www.theartisan.net/dough_ratios.htm>.

A key ratio is the hydration ratio of the dough.  With french dough,
figuring the ratio is easy because the only wet ingredient is water. With
more elaborate recipes, it is useful to know the water content of the other
ingredients.  For example, water is 100% water (!) but 2% fat milk is 90%
water.  So, if your recipe needs 100 grams of water, you would add 112 gms
of 2% milk.

Information about the moisture content of foods may be had from the USDA
National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 15:
<http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR15/sr15.html>.

This may sound very complicated but is actually very easy once you get
started.  I predict, after a few times, you will leave your recipe book on
the shelf during a baking session.

Best Regards

Howard Larson