Whole wheat challah

"adam tenner" <a10er@yahoo.com>
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:34:20 -0500
v104.n054.9
Hi Fredericka,

Ihave often struggled with how much whole wheat a challah can take. During
more religious period, I was making challah every week.  When a friend of
mine was diagnosed with a  brain tumor, I unconsciously began adding more
whole wheat and less sugar to the challah.  At the time, I got together
with friends every week for Shabbat dinner.  Finally, someone was brave
enough to take me to the side and tell me that my challahs were not tasting
"up to my usual standard".  Naturally, I aim to please the crowds and went
back to my earlier proportions.

I usually do about 1/4 whole wheat flour.  I like the texture it gives. I
also use unbleached white four.  Recently, I've also experimented with
adding in some soy flour in place of some of the white.  While the eggs
give the bread protein, I felt I was upping the nutrition of the bread
without changing texture.  On a side note, I've also started using nut
oils, like walnut oil, in my challah. I find that it really makes for a
very silky texture.

-Adam Tenner