canape bread, lemon butter-crust rolls

Haack Carolyn <haacknjack@sbcglobal.net>
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:08:07 -0800 (PST)
v104.n051.18
Here's the recipe that came with my bread molds in fancy shapes.  It makes
a nice, dense bread that can be cut into thin slices with good
success.  Like a Pullman loaf, the bread is constrained within the mold so
it's denser than a free-risen loaf.

Be sure the molds are greased to a fare-thee-well however, so the bread
will slide right out.  I not only spray the mold but spray or butter
(before cooking spray was around) the outside of the bread dough itself
before inserting it into the mold.  Remember to lubricate the insides of
the end caps too!

CANAPE BREAD:

1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 Tblsp warm water
3.5 cups flour
1.25 cups warm milk (whole preferred)
4 Tblsp soft unsalted butter

Proof the yeast in the warm sugar water.  Add the flour, warm milk & soft
butter until well-combined; knead until soft but not sticky dough is
developed.  Let rise (1-1.5 hours).

Punch down, divide into thirds.  Place each third into a well-buttered
mold, place buttered covers on ends.  Let rise 45-60 minutes.  (You can
take an end cap off to peek if you hold the mold vertically so the dough
doesn't escape.)

Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 375 and bake another 20-25
minutes.  Slip out of molds & let cool COMPLETELY on rack.  Slice into
quarter-inch-thick pieces and decorate/top as desired.

--------------------------------
Now, for a plate of delicious, light dinner rolls ... I bake these in a
decorative plate and put it right on the table to serve the rolls.

Lemon Butter-Crust Buns

1 package yeast
pinch sugar
.5 cup warm water

.5 cup warm milk (whole preferred)
.5 cup melted butter (one stick)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 Tblsp grated lemon peel (fresh MUCH preferred)
1 tsp salt

4 cups flour

for lemon butter:  4 Tblsp butter, 1.5 tsp grated lemon peel (fresh MUCH
preferred)

Proof yeast in warm sugar water.  Combine milk, melted butter, egg, egg
yolk, tablespoon of lemon peel, & salt; add proofed yeast and 1.5 cups
flour.  Beat 3 minutes (hand mixer is fine).  Stir in remaining flour
gradually to form a soft dough; knead lightly (about 5 minutes, until smooth).

Let rise about 1.25 hours.  Meanwhile, make the lemon butter by melting the
4 T butter, stirring in 1.5 tsp lemon peel, and allowing to cool.  Prepare
12" baking dish or springform pan by greasing bottom & sides.

Pumch dough down, knead until smooth.  Divide into 20 equal pieces, roll &
shape each into a small ball.  Place in prepared pan with most rounded side
up, pieces just touching each other (with 20 pieces you won't get a
particularly regular pattern in the pan).  Let rise about 20
minutes.  Gently brush with the lemon butter, using entire amount.

Bake at 375 F 35 minutes.  Serve immediately or let cool; can be reheated
just before serving also.  These freeze well, but I rarely have leftovers
for that!