RE: Ok, now I"m a believer (Holly and her fresh ground whole w

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:58:39 -0700
v104.n051.14
Holly wrote:

>I'm assuming from what I have read here, that the reason for the
>difference is that KA whole wheat, while an excellent product, just
>doesn't turn over fast enough on the grocery shelf to be "fresh".  Next
>I'm going to try spelt berries because I finally quit baking spelt bread
>because of the bitter aftertaste.

Yes, this is true. I generally stay away from whole wheat flour in the
grocery store. But since I don't have the room to store bags of wheat
berries, I buy it already ground directly from King Arthur through the
phone and always ask the sales rep for the freshed batch possible. The
whole wheat flour I get is usually less than a week old. Then I store it in
the freezer to keep it from getting bitter. Since I've been a long time
customer of King Arthur, the sales reps are usually willing to get me the
fresh stuff.

As far as what to do with the rest of your KA flour... I would mix it AP
flour and use it to make sandwich loaves. Or since it is the bran that
generally gets bitter, you can sift the flour several times through a large
sieve and then use it as you would high gluten flour (but keep it in the
freezer because of the wheat germ).

Roxanne Rieske (Rokzane)
rokzane@comcast.net
www.rokzane.bravejournal.com