Re: wonderful eggy,buttery dinner rolls

ATroi37324@aol.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:41:52 EST
v104.n051.10
Frederika:

Below is a wonderful recipe for dinner  rolls you might want to try for
Thanksgiving.  This is the recipe for  the dinner rolls that I make every
year for Thanksgiving.  They are so good  that I make a double batch.  The
kids just love them.  They are very fluffy and have a very soft and tender
crumb.  Makes 24 large rolls.

Evelyn's Dinner Rolls

2 cups lukewarm milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 Tbsp sugar (I use 2 tsp  sugar)
2 tsp salt (I use 1 1/2 tsp salt because I use less sugar)
2 eggs, beaten (room temperature)
5 - 5 1/2 cups bread flour
2 1/2 tsp breadmachine yeast

Add all the ingredients into the bread pan except only add 5 cups of flour
to begin with. Select the "Dough" cycle and press "Start". Because this is
more flour than breadmachines can handle, I take a rubber spatula along the
edges of the pan and stir helping the machine mix the dough. Once it is
mixed and starting to form a ball, let the machine continue on its own.
After about 8 to 10 minutes open the lid and check the dough consistency.
If too wet, add some of the other 1/2 cup of flour a tablespoon at a time
until you have a smooth round ball. If too dry add warm  milk or water, a
tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. Let cycle
continue.

Because this is more flour than usually called for in breadmachine recipes,
the dough will rise quite a bit. When you open the lid to punch down, the
dough will have risen so much it will go off the sides but just quickly
grab the dough and put it back into the pan. It will not fall all the way
down the machine, only about an inch down along the edges, but very easy to
grab and put back into the bread pan.

Take the dough out of the pan and roll into a ball on a buttered board and
let rest, covered or in a dough rising bucket, for about 10 minutes. The
dough is usually a little sticky when you take it out of the pan but after
10 minutes was very easy to handle. (Something I do with most of my doughs
when I pull them out of the bread pan is take it out onto a buttered board
and then pick it up and slap it down 3 or 4 times on the buttered board.
This helps take some of the stickiness away). I like to butter my board
instead of sprinkling with flour because the dough will not stick to the
board at all with butter and you won't be adding any extra flour to the
dough making it a little drier.

Shape into rolls. I prefer to roll out the dough about 1 inch thick and cut
out with my biscuit cutter. It is quite faster than rolling each piece of
dough into a ball. Place on a greased baking pan, with sides, about 1/2 to
1 inch apart. Place in a warm, draft free area to rise for about 30 - 45
minutes or until doubled.

Take 1 egg white mixed with 2 tablespoons of water, whisked very well and
brush over the rolls right before putting into the oven. Sprinkle  with
sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 425 F for 10 to 12  minutes. Makes about
24 huge rolls.

Evelyn's Dinner Rolls (Scaled Down  Recipe for a 1.5 lb. capacity)

1 cup lukewarm milk
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar (I use 1  tsp)
1 tsp salt (I use 3/4 tsp salt because I use less sugar)
1 egg, beaten (room temperature)
2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups bread  flour
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tsp breadmachine  yeast

Add all the ingredients into the bread pan except only add 2 1/2 cups of
flour to begin with. Select the "Dough" cycle and press "Start". After
about 8 to 10 minutes open the lid and check the dough consistency. If too
wet, add some of the other 1/4 cup of flour a tablespoon at a time until
you have a smooth round ball. You might even need more.  You want a smooth
ball slightly tacky to the touch. If too dry add warm milk or water, a
tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. Let cycle continue.

Take the dough out of the pan and roll into a ball on a buttered board and
let rest, covered or in a dough rising bucket, for about 10 minutes. The
dough is usually a little sticky when you take it out of the pan but after
10 minutes will be very easy to handle. (Something I do with most of my
[...]

sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 425 F for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 12
huge rolls.

Note: If you want to make more than one batch of rolls, after the mixing
and kneading in the machine and before it starts to rise, press Stop and
pull the dough out onto the buttered board. It will probably be very sticky
but just grease or butter your hands and the board. Roll into a ball and
put in your dough rising bucket and let it have its first rise in the
bucket.  Have another batch of ingredients ready and immediately put them
in the machine and press Start. (Now your machine might beep and not let
you start right away and this is because the motor was too warm. I don't
think this will happen but it might). Let that batch go through the whole
cycle. About 10 to 15 minutes before the cycle ends on the second batch,
punch down the dough in the bucket and start shaping. By the time you have
the first batch shaped, the second batch will be ready to shape.

Rosemary